It’s the home of the Cowboys, the State Fair, and the creation of the frozen Margarita. It’s the fourth largest metro area in the United States spanning nine Texas counties and the largest one that’s landlocked. For both population growth and GDP, DFW is still growing faster than any other metro area in the US, to the tune of about 250 per day from 2015 through 2019.
So, what’s so great about DFW? Quite a bit. It’s the place where Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid roamed, and the place where “German Chocolate Cake” was created. Dallas-Fort Worth is now home to nearly 8 million people across the metroplex, and more arrive every day.
So what makes DFW such an attractive place to live? Everything!
Why DFW Is So Popular
It’s one of the fastest-growing metropolitan areas in Texas—and in the US.
• There are 21 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the Dallas area
• More than 150 companies have moved into the DFW area since 2010, primarily from California
• The Metroplex is centrally located and is a four-hour flight to most destinations from the two airports (DFW and Dallas’ Love Field)
• There are seven professional sports teams here:
o The Dallas Cowboys (NFL)
o The Texas Rangers (MLB)
o The Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
o The Dallas Wings (WNBA)
o The Dallas Stars (NHL)
o FC Dallas (MLS)
o NASCAR and Indy racing
Plus there are more than 200 golf courses throughout the area.
Did You Know?
Many people don’t know these things about DFW:
• Frozen margaritas are the creation of Mariano Martinez who invented the machine in 1971
• “German Chocolate Cake” was printed in a Dallas newspaper in 1957. It was named after Samuel German, a chocolatier who created the dark chocolate that needed to be used in the recipe.
• The Dallas Public Library permanently displays one of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence, printed on July 4, 1776, along with the First Folio of William Shakespeare’s “Comedies, Histories & Tragedies.”
• The Dallas Cowboys was originally named “The Dallas Steers”
• The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders were the first professional cheerleading squad
• The Trinity River Project will be more than ten times the size of New York’s Central Park when completed.
• Convenience store 7-Eleven first opened in Dallas, and the company is still headquartered here
• Bank robbing couple Bonnie And Clyde were from Dallas (but died in northwest Louisiana)
Dallas is the birthplace of many well-known people:
• Steve Miller (The Steve Miller Band)
• Boz Scaggs
• Stevie Ray Vaughan
• Owen and Luke Wilson
• Robin Wright
• Jeff Dunham
• Erykah Badu
• Drew Brees (former QB New Orleans Saints)
• Nora Jones
• Stephen Stills
• Meat Loaf
• Dusty Hill (bass player, ZZ Top)
Other well-known celebrities who hail from Fort Worth include:
• Kelly Clarkson
• Kate Capshaw
• Shelly Duvall
• Larry Hagman
• Delbert McClinton
• Betty Buckley
While you may not see a celebrity walking down the street, with nearly 8 million people, you’ll likely meet someone who’s just as interesting.
Big Texas Divorces
Everything is bigger in Texas, and nowhere is that more evident than with divorce. Roughly 11% of adults in Texas are divorced. Although divorce rates are declining nationally, it’s also because fewer people are getting married in the first place.
Texas isn’t in the top ten for marriages or divorces. However, Texas is one of 8 states that still have a common-law marriage, so those aren’t recorded by the state until someone asks for a divorce. It’s not automatic, either, and once qualified, you’ll have to get a standard legal divorce to end it if the relationship fizzles.
If you’re facing a divorce or other family law matters, Wendy L. Hart is ready to help.
Contact Tarrant County’s Leading Divorce Attorney
With over 20 years of experience, attorney Wendy L. Hart has personally worked with thousands of individuals in Fort Worth, Dallas, and the surrounding areas on divorce, child custody and other family law matters. No matter where you live, feel free to give us a call at (817) 842-2336, contact us through our website, or set up a consultation to visit our law offices between Monday and Thursday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.