So, you and your spouse have decided to get a divorce in Fort Worth; you’ve looked through the Texas divorce laws (if not, you can find a lot of information about Texas divorce laws throughout our website and blog), and you’ve reached the point where you need to decide: should I get a divorce attorney to represent me, and if so, how can I find the right one?
Not all individuals need legal representation, though having an experienced Fort Worth divorce attorney on your side can have massive benefits, from protecting future assets to guiding you and your spouse through tricky legal issues such as child custody and support. We at the Law Office of Wendy L. Hart like to say that we’re the leading divorce lawyers in the Mansfield-Fort Worth area, but you do need to know how an attorney can help, which options you have, and how to choose the right attorney to fit your needs and circumstances.
How a Fort Worth Divorce Lawyer Can Help
When facing divorce, it’s difficult to know where to turn, and since opening our family law firm in 2001, we’ve come across several horror stories of individuals wasting time and money as they go through lawyer after lawyer trying to find the right one. However, finding the right divorce attorney is fundamental when aiming for a faster, less expensive divorce; finding the wrong attorney can lead to a legal, financial, and emotional nightmare.
By hiring a local, Fort Worth divorce lawyer, there are some things to keep in mind:
- Some lawyers take pride in “demolishing” the other side. Our goal isn’t to “demolish” your future ex while he/she is on the stand; instead, we will help you through the divorce process, putting your interests first and seeking long-term conclusions.
- Some lawyers specialize in a certain gender; although specializing in one gender is relatively harmless, we provide full representation regardless of whether you are a man or woman.
- Some lawyers are “general practice”; when going through your divorce, you need the experts. At the Law Office of Wendy L. Hart, we specialize in family law issues, including divorce, child custody & support, and more.
Other ways that we can help include:
- Counsel on the legal grounds for divorce in Texas
- Alternative Dispute Resolution options, such as mediation
- Objective advice
- Collect financial records and locate assets and liabilities to better determine fair divorce settlements
- Counsel on property division in Texas
- Debt repayment plans
- Spousal support
- Custody plans
- Divorce papers
- Settlement negotiations
- Family court representation
Tips for Finding the Right Fort Worth Divorce Lawyer
After deciding whether or not you even need a lawyer, the next step is to make sure that your attorney is a good fit for you and your situation. In order to help you make the best choice in choosing your representation for your divorce, we’ve compiled a list of three tips for finding the idea divorce lawyer in Fort Worth.
- You need to be realistic about the divorce process and the role of your divorce attorney. Remember, your attorney is not a therapist, and although we’ll provide a compassionate ear, our goal is to fully represent you through the marriage dissolution while minimizing financial damage and potential future legal conflicts. Also, don’t let your emotions run rampant and overtake the negotiations over small, material things, and if you do, the divorce will be much longer and expensive. Make sure to have realistic expectations, and it’s generally advised to get a divorce over quickly with as little financial damage as possible.
- Make sure you know what you want. “Divorce” is the dissolution of a marriage, but there are several options to help you get there. For instance, if you aren’t entangled with children and finances, mediation may be the fastest and cheapest way to get divorced (it also carries several other benefits). For more complicated negotiations, a collaborative divorce may be a good option as well. Lastly, if both parties can’t compromise, then a litigated trial may just be your last resort.
- Interview and research potential attorneys. Lawyers are not all the same, and it’s important to be a diligent client and interview your attorney before hiring them. Make sure the attorney specializes in family law and has the legal experience and knowledge you need for your specific circumstances. Furthermore, always look for red flags such as an attorney divulging confidential information based on other cases or making overarching guarantees.
Call the Law Office of Wendy L. Hart for Comprehensive Divorce Representation
The divorce attorney who’ll represent you during your divorce needs to be local, professional, knowledgeable, and responsive. As a divorce is a major decision with long-lasting consequences, as well as a high potential for future conflicts, it’s essential to be serious and diligent when choosing the ideal Fort Worth divorce attorney who’ll represent you.
When faced with divorce in the Fort Worth area, call Mansfield-Fort Worth divorce attorney Wendy Hart today!